Monday, December 3, 2012

Interview with Sean McComber

This is the second post of two interviews with industry professionals.

1. To start off the interview let's start by who your are.

My name is Sean McComber and I am an animator who happens to also teach classes in ATEC.

2. What studios have you worked at?

I have worked at Rhythm and Hues Studio, Reel FX, and Sucker Punch Productions.

3. When did you join the industry?

I got my first job animating in 2004, but it took me 2 more years before I made it into film.

4. If you had to pick the biggest barrier with animations right now what would it be?

When it comes to CG, technology is generally the biggest barrier.  As an animator I want to have full control over the character that I am animating and sometimes it’s just not possible to bend, stretch, or contort them into the positions I want.  

5. How have things changed since you started working within the animation industry?

The quality level is immensely better.  That is in terms of animation quality in movies, but also in students coming out of college.  It is extremely competitive.

6. What is your preference? Working in studio or working as a contract artist and why?

Technically even when you are working in a studio you are still a contract artist.  Your contracts last about 6 months to a year at a time (or run of the picture which just means until the movie is done).  There are pros and cons being staff vs contract.  Staff has a bit of security, but with contract you are free to bounce around to try different studios and other projects.

7. What is your favorite animated feature film? Either 2D or 3D

I still really like Finding Nemo.  The Incredibles is also one of my favorites.  If we are talking strictly animation style I really like what Sony is putting out these days with Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Hotel Transylvania.

8. If given the chance to start over fresh would you still chose the same path?

Absolutely

9.  If you were to guess where animation is heading in the future, where would that be?

Honestly I have no clue.  I see motion capture getting a stronger foothold as the technology advances, especially in games.  I also think it will begin to encroach more into film and specifically VFX films.  There will always be a place for full key frame animation, but I do think it will get smaller.

I would like to take this time to thank both Todd Fletcher and Sean McComber for their time. I hope that all the viewers enjoyed these sessions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment